Sunday, October 07, 2007

NaNoWriMo!

This year I'm going to do NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) - you're supposed to write 1000 words a day (that's about 2 typed pages, single spaced) in November, and at the end of the month, ta da! You've got a novel!

After signing up, I got this funny email from the folks at NaNoWriMo with the following tips:
1) It's okay to not know what you're doing. Really. [...]

2) Do not edit as you go. Editing is for December. [...] In November, embrace imperfection and see where it takes you.

3) Tell everyone you know that you're writing a novel in November. This will pay big dividends in Week Two, when the only thing keeping you from quitting is the fear of looking pathetic in front of all the people who've had to hear about your novel for the past month. Seriously. Email them now about your awesome new book. The looming specter of personal humiliation is a very reliable muse.

3.5) There will be times you'll want to quit during November. This is okay. Everyone who wins NaNoWriMo wanted to quit at some point in November. Stick it out. See it through. Week Two can be hard. Week Three is much better. Week Four will make you want to hug the world.

Hugging the world sound good, right? I had this idea that instead of saying, "2007 was a pretty crappy year for me," I could say, "I wrote a book in 2007!" Who's with me?

4 comments:

kbmulder said...

I will be writing a 20 page book about curriculum in November. Does that count?

I will be your cheerleader! I loved your book about places where you lived.

KHM said...

I will write with you. What the hell am I going to write about? Right---as if my life is not rich with irony and drama...

KHM said...

Hey--I bought, and received, the "No plot, no problem" book to help with the NaNoWriMo. How are you going to approach this writing?

Special K said...

Blindly, mostly. I have an outline... (: Any good tips in No Plot, No Problem?