Thursday, May 23, 2013

such a pleasant opinion

I've had a few interesting comments on my blog recently - this one is quite nice - it was on my review of Faithful Place:
Thanks for sharing such a pleasant opinion, piece of writing is nice, thats why i have read it fully
Why, thank you!  I appreciate it when people read my thoughts fully.  I attempted to return the favor, but, alas, the site is in Chinese (I think).  It is called "Louboutin Shoes" but it is about food.  I have always wanted a pair of Christian Louboutins.  Gah, like these, maybe...

I also received a response to my scathing review of The Professor and the Madman that was so defensive I suspect it was written by Simon Winchester himself:
This sophomoric and self-indulgent 'review' neglected to mention that this book is an account of how the Oxford English Dictionary came into existence. Future readers may want to consider that the use of 'mad' connotes something rather different for British English speakers, like Mr. Winchester, than it does for the Yankee author of this 'review'.
I guess I did skip over the part about how the book is indeed an account of how the OED came into existence, although I rather think the title, The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity, and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary sums it up nicely.  I don't think I've ever been called a "Yankee" before.  Made me feel like I was being told off by Foghorn Leghorn.

But, I do find it quite amusing when people don't agree with my opinion on books.  Sometimes if there's a book I really LOVE and I give it to my sister or my friend and they don't LOVE it, I get mildly bummed out for about three seconds.  I don't think I've ever gotten pissed and started started placing words in unnecessary quotations as a result.  What's pretty interesting is that, at my book club, for example, if everyone has the same general opinion of a book, we sometimes have a boring conversation.  But if, more likely, everyone has a different impression, we often have a rousing, funny, thought-provoking, (respectful) conversation.  I love that. 

No comments: