Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Thank You, Jeeves

Over vacation, I took another P.G. Wodehouse book - this one, Thank You, Jeeves. All of the Jeeves and Wooster series follow a certain formula, which I outlined in my previous entry - Wooster finds himself in a bit of a bind, and then Jeeves comes up with a brilliant solution to get him out of it. This book was a little bit different, only in that Jeeves temporarily leaves the service of Bertie Wooster due to his insistence to play the banjolele. There are some pretty hilarious passages centered around Bertie's obsession with this instrument, but, on the negative side, there's also a few racist bits (of the black-face and N-word variety) in the book that really turned me off.

Finding the perfect vacation book is tricky. Laying on a beach is easy - I like a little Carl Hiaasen or some chick lit garbage - maybe Jane Green or something like that. But a city vacation is more difficult - I want something more intellectually stimulating - so for our trip to Amsterdam I picked up The World to Come, by Dara Horn - it was great!

No comments: